How do I deal with unwanted noise?
Noise can disrupt sleep and interfere with daily activities. If loud enough, it can also have a detrimental impact on people’s health.
Guide to decibel levels
Some noise regulations include a maximum loudness in decibels. Here are usual decibel levels for everyday situations:
- quiet room in the house – 20 to 30 decibels
- daytime in a quiet residential street – 35 to 45 decibels
- large busy office – 50 to 60 decibels
- lawn mower from 15 metres away – 70 decibels
More info: click here
Which noise complaints are not handled by Council?
The Council does not deal with these common complaints:
- noise from music, parties, off-road vehicles and burglar alarms – contact the Queensland Police on 07 3364 6464
- noise from premises with a liquor licence – contact the Department of Tourism and Racing’s Liquor Licensing Division on 07 3224 7196
- other types of noise complaints may be dealt with by the Environmental Protection Agency – contact the agency on 07 3224 5520