How do I deal with unwanted noise?


Noise can disrupt sleep and interfere with daily activities. If loud enough, it can also have a detrimental impact on people’s health.

Guide to decibel levels

Some noise regulations include a maximum loudness in decibels. Here are usual decibel levels for everyday situations:

  • quiet room in the house – 20 to 30 decibels
  • daytime in a quiet residential street – 35 to 45 decibels
  • large busy office – 50 to 60 decibels
  • lawn mower from 15 metres away – 70 decibels

More info: click here

Which noise complaints are not handled by Council?

The Council does not deal with these common complaints:

  • noise from music, parties, off-road vehicles and burglar alarms – contact the Queensland Police on 07 3364 6464
  • noise from premises with a liquor licence – contact the Department of Tourism and Racing’s Liquor Licensing Division on 07 3224 7196
  • other types of noise complaints may be dealt with by the Environmental Protection Agency – contact the agency on 07 3224 5520
Recent Posts
Contact My Office

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap. Please include your phone number if you would like us to call you back.

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt